Because there are so many things to do in Alberta, road-tripping is a very popular way to explore. And whether you do it by your own four wheels or via public transportation, you won’t be disappointed by the scenery that rolls past your window or by the many exciting stops you can make along the way.
It’s also a big province – 1,223 km at its tallest point and 660 km at its widest – so careful planning is recommended to ensure you get the most out of any trip. And that’s what we’re here to help you with! Dive into our route guides of popular trips below to find out the best way to get there, the fun stops to make along the way, and what to do when you arrive at your destination.
Want some help planning a PERFECT Alberta vacation?
We have created downloadable ebooks for several destinations as well as 7-day itineraries, all available for one low price! See this page for more details.
More Popular Alberta Route Guides
Popular Routes from Calgary:
Popular Routes from Edmonton:
Fun Alberta Road Trips
While the route guides above cover the most popular routes, don’t forget to get off the beaten path just for fun! We’ve designed some themed trips that can keep your tires moving on the pavement for many weeks.
- Try these 12 cool road trips in Alberta.
- Want some options for touring the province’s southeast? We’ve got a whole post on 6 Alberta Badlands road trips.
- Take this 2-3 day southwest Alberta road trip to see the best of Waterton Lakes National Park, Crowsnest Pass, Castle Provincial Park, and more!
- Bring a full car and an empty stomach for this self-drive southern Alberta food tour.
- If you love Pedro Pascal, Bella Ramsey, and reliving their post-apocalyptic scenes together shot in Alberta for HBO, then don’t miss our road trip to see The Last of Us filming locations.
- Follow one (or all!) of these road trips east of Edmonton for a complete change of pace.